What is a Water Filter straw?
A water filter straw is a personal water filter that fits in the palm of your hand and allows you to drink clean, filtered water directly from any natural source. It’s a great way to stay hydrated while camping, hiking, or just exploring the outdoors!
These days, it’s important to take extra precautions when drinking water from any natural source, as many of them could be contaminated with bacteria and other organisms that can make you sick. In the event that you do not have a camping kettle to boil the water and its impurities, a water filter straw is an easy way to ensure that the water you’re drinking is safe and clean.
How many types of Filter Straws are There?
Water filter straws typically come in two types: activated carbon or ceramic filters.
- ACTIVATED CARBON filter straws are most commonly used, as they can remove a wide range of impurities from water including bacteria and parasites.
- CERAMIC filters are also effective for removing particles like sediment, clay, rust, and other pollutants.
How do They Work?
Filter straws use a two-stage filtration process to remove bacteria and other contaminants from your water.
- THE FIRST STAGE is mechanical filtration, which strains out particles like dirt and sediment.
- THE SECOND STAGE is chemical filtration, which uses activated carbon to absorb chlorine, heavy metals, pesticides, pharmaceuticals, and other dangerous chemicals from the water. Together, these two stages provide you with clean and safe drinking water, no matter where you are.
What should I look for when Buying a straw Filter?
1. Pore Size.
When shopping for a water filter straw, it’s important to look at the pore size of the filter (the size of the holes that allow water to pass through). The smaller the pore size, the more effective it will be at filtering out bacteria and other contaminants.
Most filter straws on the market have a pore size of 0.2 microns or less, which is effective for removing most bacteria and parasites.
2. Bacterial Removal Claim
Second, your health is your wealth so you want your filter straw to perform highly. So look for filters that offer a 99.9% bacterial removal rate and can tackle viruses such as salmonella, cholera, and E.coli or protozoan such as giardia and cryptosporidium.
Also consider the warranty of the water filter. Filter straws with 100% back money guarantees or long warranties are your best bet, as they will be replaced if anything goes wrong.
In addition to being easy to carry and use, water filter straws also provide you with a portable source of potable water in remote areas or during emergency situations. So you should look for a sizable one that is compact and would suit your camping bag snugly.
Straw Water Purifier | XStream™ Straw Ultralight Water Filter – Deluxe
HIGHLIGHTS – Nanofiber technology – 100% money back guarantee – removes 99.9% viruses.
Benefits of a Portable Filter Straw.
If you love spending time outdoors, now you know how important it is to have clean water on hand. These handy little devices can make a big difference when you’re out on the trail or camping in a remote location. So to summarize this post, some of the benefits of using a water filter straw include –
1. They remove bacteria and contaminants from water.
2. They’re easy to use – just drink through them!
3. They’re lightweight and portable, so they won’t weigh you down on your adventures.
4. Some models even allow you to collect and store water for later use.
So, if you’re looking for a way to make sure you have access to safe drinking water while enjoying the great outdoors, then consider investing in a water filter straw!
And if you would like to check out our post on camping kettles – READ HERE.